Sunday, April 10, 2011

Your digital brand

So, what's in a name?

When I google "Travis Larson" the results are pretty interesting (like most people, I will only look at the first page)

First of all, the Travis Larson band comes first and second on the results. That is awesome. Maybe it is a bit egoistic to follow a band just because it shares my name, but who cares? The Travis Larson band is awesome!

Next on the list is some Travis Larson from Florida who promotes himself as an SEO professional. My hope for Florida Travis Larson is that he isn't using automatic backlink creators (even though he promotes them) to push up results, because that is the height of douchebaggery. It's crap like that that made me abandon Google for Blekko when I need a quality search result.

Next comes linked in profiles - cool. I'm on linked in. Not bad that I (a non- Travis Larson SEO professional) still end up on the first page of results.

Then it's the same Florida Travis Larson's twitter. Kudos for him for getting 2400 followers. I suppose it's because he follows 2000 people himself.

Then it's my blog! Finland Travis Larson rules without quite understanding why (I am a web designer with background in search engine marketing and direct marketing).

And then the final 2 results are Travis Larson band again.

So my call is for everyone to link to the Travis Larson band page: let's keep the awesomest Travis Larson site top of the list.

And on a side note, when you want to see where you really rank on google, make sure you scroll to the bottom of the search results page, click "view customizations" and view the results without google's improvements (google moves items up on the results based on your search history, so the results are biased if you don't do this).